– Add the butter to a hot frying pan, once it has melted add the pork and colour it on all sides.
– Remove from the pan and place the pork in a casserole dish.
– Add the onions to the frying pan and fry until softened. Once they are slightly coloured remove from the frying pan and add them to the casserole.
– Pour the apple juice and most of the water over the meat and onion and let it simmer for two hours on a very low heat.
– Dice the parsnips, carrots and potatoes and add it to the casserole.
– Ste aside approximately 1 cup full of the cooking liquor. Add the cornflour, stir well and return this into the casserole and thoroughly stir in.
– Let this simmer for another hour or until the meat is tender and falls apart.
hour, or more.
– Season with salt and pepper and serve!
The stew is great with some herby dumplings added to the casserole about 15 mins before the end of the cooking time.